Home » »
2017 Summer Workshops
Two summer workshops are planned for July 11 in the St. Louis metro area and July 12 in the Kansas City metro area. Further information can be found by copying and pasting the url listed below into your browser search line.
Quality Health & Physical Education (QHPE) Project
We wish to thank all who participated in the six completed sessions this spring. Special thanks are extended to the MOAHPERD QHPE Cadre for the preparation of materials for each session, and especially to Dr. Marilyn Grechus for the development of the LiveBinder that included all workshop materials. The financial support from the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services allowed many participants to register that may not have been able to do so.
The collaboration with the Directors of each Regional Professional Development Center was excellent and provided us with the facilities, support, and marketing that allowed us to partner in a successful manner.
Plans are already underway for the Spring 2018 QHPE sessions, and dates will be posted soon for each site.
Sponsored by: Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, the Regional Professional Development Centers, the Southwest Center for Educational Excellence and the Missouri Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. Support is provided by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
MAXIMIZING LEARNING AND ACHIEVEMENT
This professional learning program for physical educators, health educators, administrators and all school health personnel will benefit from this one-day professional learning opportunity. The focus of this year's Quality Health and Physical Education program will be multi-faceted, with time given to:
- Updates relating to Legislative issues and initiatives
- Technology and web resources for teaching and learning in health education and physical education
- Appropriate practices relating to the curriculum and instructional delivery in health education and physical education
- The Presidential Youth Fitness Program (PYFP) http://www.pyfp.org This is the national physical fitness education and assessment program helping schools achieve excellence in physical education and empowering students to be fit for life
- Construction of rubrics for use in student assessments
- The role of cooperation, collaboration, creativity, and cultural competence in the teaching/learning environment
THIS WILL INCLUDE ACTIVITY BASED PROFESSIONAL LEARNING. DRESS TO BE ACTIVE AND PLAN TO BE ENGAGED AND ENERGIZED!
All participants should bring a device (laptop computer, iPad or tablet, or smart phone) to download apps and to complete tasks during the presentations.
QHPE Professsional Development Session Objectives– 2017
This session is designed to:
- Development of awareness regarding possible legislative issues affecting school programs and the need to advocate for quality programs
- Provide technological and web-based practices and sources appropriate to promoting quality health education and physical education in schools and communities
- Align current individual and school curricula and instructional strategies with documented appropriate practices relating to the curriculum, instructional delivery, assesments, and positive learning climate
- Provide insights into approved assessment techniques related to fitness testing practices
- Provide resources and guidelines for educating students on all aspects of fitness education
- Provide guidelines for the development of rubrics to be used in standards-based assessments
- Provide guidelines for developing cultural competence in all interactions in school and in ways to promote creativity in collaborative learning