MOAHPERD is an association open to professionals and future professionals in health, physical education, recreation, dance and related fields. It:
- Promotes effective community relations leading to the implementation of quality HPERD programs in schools
- Provides a statewide organization for professionals and future professionals.
- Provides leadership and assistance to schools with the development of Exemplary Programs in health and physical education
- Recognizes professionals and future professionals for outstanding work and support of HPERD programs
- Works with the Missouri Coordinated School Health Coalition, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Missouri Council on Activity and Nutrition, and other agencies to promote HPERD programs
- Selects outstanding teachers in health, physical education, dance, and adapted physical education
- Co-sponsors professional development workshops on Quality Health and Physical Education with the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, the Regional Professional Development Centers, and the Southwest Center for Excellence in Education
- Co-sponsors with the American Heart Association for Jump Rope for Heart and Hoops for Heart educational and fund raising programs
- Publishes a refereed journal annually and a newsletter (Record) three times a year
- Holds an annual fall convention in mid-November of each year. Speakers, demonstrations, participation programs, exhibits, awards, and socials provide new ideas for participants
The mission of MOAHPERD is to support, encourage, and provide assistance to promote programs in health, leisure, and movement related activities for the enrichment of human life.
MOAHPERD envisions a society in which all individuals enjoy optimal quality of life through appreciation and participation in an active healthy lifestyle.
- Promote quality health and physical education for every child from pre-school through grade 12, so that they develop and continue to practice a lifetime healthy active lifestyle.
- Provide needed publications, information, and programs for all professionals and future professionals with special efforts focused on providing professional development to improve curriculum consistent with the Show Me Standards and the Health and Physical Education Grade Level Expectations.
- Cooperate with other related agencies to promote coordinated school health programs.